Inspiring Kids and Communities
DISNEY FRIENDS FOR CHANGE
Environmental OutcomesSince its launch in May 2009, Disney Friends for Change has already inspired more than 2.5 million kids across the U.S., Canada, Latin America and Europe to make more than 3 million pledges. Together, these actions could:
- Cut 52 million pounds of carbon emissions annually, which is equivalent to planting 10,000 acres of trees
- Reduce or recycle 8 million pounds of trash annually, which is the equivalent weight of over 650 African elephants
- Save more than 1.5 billion gallons of water annually, which is enough water to fill almost 2,500 Olympic sized swimming pools
- Provide new wildlife habitat and shade in almost 75,000 locales
Philanthropy and Stakeholder EngagementThrough Disney Friends for Change, we donated more than $2 million to 41 eco-projects in 19 countries over the past two years. These grants included $100,000 to protect Arctic wildlife, $50,000 to improve collection of safe drinking water in Ethiopia, and $100,000 to restore oyster reefs in Florida.
In addition, Disney Friends for Change collaborated with Youth Service America to award $150,000 in $500 grants to youth-led service projects around the world. These grants, awarded in 11 countries and in 20 U.S. states, impact communities around the world. Grant recipients used their funds to build nonprofit organizations, start community gardens, educate about waste and recycling, and organize tree plantings, among other projects.
Disney Friends for Change works with local organizations to engage youth in community projects throughout the year. Thanks to an on-going relationship with the Boys & Girls Club, over 24 clubs and 100,000 kids are participating in sustainable activities and events on a quarterly basis.
We also collaborated with organizations such as National Audubon Society, Arbor Day Foundation, The Nature Conservancy and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to develop and verify environmental content and to address key issues for kids.
Across the Business
- Disney Channel, Disney XD, Radio Disney, and ABC networks have aired 48 different public service announcements encouraging eco-actions for kids
- Disney Records released two chart-topping anthems, "Send it On" and "Make a Wave." All proceeds were directed toward Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund
- Disney Stores celebrated Earth Day with an in-store event where guests exchanged six recyclable plastic water bottles or aluminum cans to receive a Friends for Change/Disneynature Oceans eco-hat
- Localized versions of Friends for Change expanded globally to Latin America and Europe in 2010. To learn more about this expansion, visit the feature story
Visit Disney Friends for Change online to learn more about the program, our philanthropic initiatives, and more.